Tuesday 26 November 2013

Antara Dua Darjat by P. Ramlee

Antara Dua Darjat movie poster

Antara Dua Darjat is the first black and white Malay movie that I have ever watch in my life, honestly. I personally do not enjoy watching Malay movie because my Malay is really bad and I can't understand their style of movie. But, I think I did enjoy during the screening of Antara Dua Darjat by P. Ramlee. It is sweet, bitter kind of typical love story which often happens during the older days. Antara Dua Darjat is a Malay drama directed, written and starring by P. Ramlee during the 1960s. He is called as the silver-screen legend since then until today. 


P. Ramlee

I would like to touch a little bit on P. Ramlee's background. According to Zainal BMW (2012), P. Ramlee's real name is Teuku Zakaria Bin Teuku Nyak Puteh, he was born on the 22nd of March 1929 from Penang. He started his filming job in the 1960s I think? The first movie was "Si Tora Harimau Jadian" and the last was "Laksamana Do Re Mi". "Antara Dua Darjat" was one of his movie in 1960. He is also consider as the most famous actor, singer, composer, director, writer, and etc in the Malay celebrity industry. 



Ghazali & his friend

In Antara Dua Darjat, Ghazali (P. Ramlee) is a commoner local musician who plays the piano as a band. One raining day, Tengku Zaleha's (Saadiah) car is stuck on a muddy road. She calls Ghazali and his friends for help. She is from a higher class family. That's their first time meeting each other and they somehow fall in love with each other. That's call love at first sight I guess? This is also the funniest scene for me when Ghazali is trying to push the car, they somehow have some eye contact which is really funny. After awhile, Tengku Zaleha found out that Ghazali is a pianist and she invites him to perform during her birthday party. Then, they started dating each other. One day when Tengku Zaleha came home, her father tells her that she is not allow to go out without his permission to avoid her from mixing with the commoner (which is Ghazali and his friends). The only way to see Ghazali is to hire him as a piano teacher to teach her piano. Tengku Zaleha's father then invites him to their house. They slowly fall in love deeper and deeper as day past without letting her father to know. The loving scenes take place here and it is very touching and funny at the same time. 

Tengku Zaleha & Ghazali

The climax takes place when Tengku Zaleha's father realize that they both are in love. He got very angry and Ghazali got beaten up by some guys which is instructed by Tengku Zaleha's father. After all the hassle that they go through, they finally manage to get back together even though that's quite a long period. But still, they are finally together! I think the storyline is great, I would really recommend this to my friends. I should also watch the other movies by P. Ramlee. I rate this movie 9/10. 



References

Zainal, BMW 2012, Biography of Almarhum Tan Sri P. Ramlee, viewed 26 November 2013, <http://p-ramlee.com.my/Biography.php>.

No comments:

Post a Comment